-

-

Follow Yung Lions

“Every wolf ‘s and lion’s howl / Raises from Hell a human soul.”

Monday, August 23, 2010

Change of heart by Shari Maurer

In a world where the most stressful thing seems to be winning a soccer game or what to wear in the morning, you take some really basic things for granted.
Like the love of your parents.
Or hanging with your friends.
Or the beating of your heart.

When you’re 16 years old, it never occurs to you that you might die. Emmi Miller’s got a fabulous life. She has tons of friends, does great in school and is an all-star soccer player who played in Europe last summer. It even looks like Sam Hunter, a totally cute baseball player, might be interested in her. And then she gets a virus. No biggy, right? Until the virus goes to her heart and weakens it so much that, without a transplant, Emmi will die.

Will Emmi get a heart in time?  Is Sam too good to be true?  What about her new friend Abe, who has also had a transplant and guides her through these scary times — is he just being supportive or is there more going on between them?  And will Emmi realize it before it’s too late?

Change of heart has a very compelling storyline and I couldn't help but become attatched to the characters, one by one.  Emmi is an easy going girl, very simple, and just like any other soccer obsessed teenager girl.  But I couldn't help but be annoyed with her sometimes, yes she was going through a lot, but...she's really bratty.  Just sayin.  Regardless, I was completely engrossed with the book, within reading the first few pages.  I wanted to know if her relationship with Sam would last, if her friendship with Abe was destine for more than friendship and of course, the big question: Would Emmi ever recieve a new heart?

In the end of the book, we basically get all of the answers to those questions, proving that the conclusion to the book was satisfying, but there were certain aspects of the book that seemed more like a movie than a book.  You coul tell where certain points in the book would lead to, and sometimes what would happen next.  It seemed to me that the way the plot was going, has been done way to many times. 

I was totally in love with Sam while reading the book but well...like I said, I could tell where the story was going and couldn't help but feel...detatched from the story.  There were just certain things that could have been done better.

But, if someone asked me if I enjoyed the book, I wouldn't be able to say no.  I apreciated the characters (well...most of them anyways), the book was very well written and it was kinda heartbraking, really.  It was a job well done, even if certain aspects of the story line were used and abused.

The bottom line is, I really liked the book, therefore I give it the Moody Seal of approval, it would be heartbraking if I didn't.

Check her out ---> Shari Maurer

 

  


free logos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out